Sunday, November 11, 2012

Member Profile - Georgia

I've been quilting for almost twenty years, focusing on "art quilts" for half that time. It's a form I find indefinable, fascinating, and on most days tremendously enriching. Earlier membership in the fiber art group Tactile Expressions and now Fyber Cafe and High Fiber Diet have given me freedom to explore the medium fearlessly. The support and encouragement of other members is invaluable.
Each project teaches its lesson. Sometimes I finish a piece knowing that I want to repeat one or other aspect of it, and sometimes I know I've learned, yet don't want to go there again. No matter how the piece turns out, the process has been valuable.
Making an art quilt requires many small decisions. I seldom know exactly what I am aiming for - there is no picture in my mind of the finished piece. I deal with these small decisions one at a time and don't look ahead too far, as I've learned that doing so cuts off possibilities that I may not see at the moment. There will never be enough time for me to tire of this wonderful world of fiber, design and unforeseen possibilities.
Georgia is also now, the Oregon representative of SAQA and a board member of The Umpqua Valley Arts Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment