Wednesday, August 15, 2012
What a fun meeting we had, lots of show and tell from our dyeing workshop! Old Business We received a Thank You note from the league of Women Voters for our participation in the Garden Tour. We decided if they ask us next year to participate again, we would be happy to, as long as there is shade. Corienne brought her bag of weaving thrums for us to go through, and we had a big ball of Pendleton wool trim from Maureen, to take snips off of. We double checked everyone's phone and email for the membership list. Bring your Beatles challenges to the Sept. meeting, Peggy and Kay will take them up to the Sutherlin Library for display. New Business We discussed the possibly of a fall retreat at the coast, and decided to post pone it for Spring Break, everyone seamed to have more time then. I will look into the dates and info. Sept. meeting - Corienne will give a demo on "Kumihimo" Japanese Braiding, she will provide supplies. Oct. meeting - Vera will demo the iron on vinyl/silk screening process. Show and Tell We got on with the show and tell portion of our meeting, everyone was anxious to see how all the dyeing turned out. We discussed if the heat of the day, or the size of the ice cubes made a difference on the patterning. Meredith said "NO" she had tried it on very hot days and with different size cubes. Everyone who used the "Millsoft" conditioner on the silk, loved the way it made the fabric soft and conditioned it after the harsh chemicals of dyeing.
Monday, August 13, 2012
Here are a few more photographs from our member Cynde, from the ice dyeing workshop. Her pics are mostly process pics from the first day. She said she'll send me result pics later. Most of her work was done in buckets or baskets, after the ice and powdered dye was added, they were covered with plastic wrap, to keep stray dye powder from blowing in. The photos give you a good idea of some of the containers we used. Isn't that RED a WOW color!
Monday, August 6, 2012
I tried to get the marbling to work again this morning, I put the goop in a small 8 X 8 pan, and tested paints. Adding water to thin them and adding dispersant, I kept shaking them and trying a drop on the goop. Still sinking, still not dispersing, some were getting close, but the second time I tried them, Nope. :( The Marbling book suggested Synthrapol as a dispersant instead of the Ox Gall drops that Dharma sent, so I tried that and it seemed to help. As I got each color paint just right, I made a few prints, so most of the prints are pink, lavender and light teal. As I worked on the blue, green and burgundy, I tried for more color variations on the prints.
Sunday, August 5, 2012
Saturday morning, we arrived bright and early, it was going to be an even hotter day! Each of us started to unwrap our pieces of fabric, each scarf was a Christmas present according to Meredith. Some were dry from sitting out all night, and some were still damp from dye. We oohed and aah-ed as we undid one piece at a time, and took turns rinsing them in a sink. Then they got dropped into a bucket with Synthrapol to soak out the remaining excess dye. We were in ecstasy looking at our masterpieces and holding them up for everyone to see.