Monday, July 16, 2012

Member Profile - JANA

I'm a fiber enthusiast who has been quilting, knitting and hand spinning for over 10 years. I enjoy quilting, especially machine applique. The idea of making something that is both useful and attractive from apparently unrelated scraps of cloth continues to intrigue me. I am also the daughter of an excellent knitter who turned out stacks of cabled sweaters, lacy scarves and warm afghans. Sadly I didn't appreciate her skill until after she was no longer able to knit. Today I treasure her knitted gifts to me and teach others to knit. I think she would be pleased.
My real love is hand spinning. From the moment I saw a woman spin a section of fluffy fiber into an impossibly fine yarn I knew I had to learn to spin. Shortly there after I was a proud owner of a wheel. along with a huge stash of fiber -- wool, alpaca, llama, silk, and even bison and dog (which spinners affectionately all "chiengora.") Each time I sit at my wheel I feel connected to the long line of women through the ages who have spun fiber that kept their family clothed and warm. I'm indebted to all the teachers and sister spinners who have shared their knowledge and love of the ancient craft with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment