Thursday, May 24, 2012

Member's Profile - Cynde

I inherited the maternal sewing gene from the fabulous women who came before me and had needle in hand at an early age. My Grandma Pat gave me my first mini-Singer sewing machine at 6 years old. Through the years, she instructed me through many fall wardrobes we selected and made together. My mother and my three grandmothers all had a part in infusing the love of the needle and thread or yarn into me. Beyond beauty and the art, the meditation calms and soothes me still today.
I aspired to the sciences early on, but came back to the love of cloth and found a fabulous couturier in Los Angeles to study with. From there I received some of my first clients and launched a career in pattern making and fashion design, which led to my own business Couture Dreams. I have had the pleasure of creating everything from high fashion evening gowns for the Oscars and bridal to hero capes for television, curtains, cushions and slipcovers for the interior, and baby bedding and clothes. My latest endeavor has been art quilts. One piece has shown globally in "Currency Exchange" and a Frida Kahlo piece now prominently shows in the office of a L.A. Councilwomen. I am beginning my study for City and Guilds Certification in embroidery and am thrilled by the learning process. Eventually, I plan to take my new knowledge back to fashion and see where it leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment