Friday, November 29, 2013

Texture Magic Demo

The demo for the November meeting was on using "Texture Magic" by Superior Threads & "Fabric Magic" by Pellon. I started by painting gold acrylic onto 12 1/2" squares of blue heavy weight cotton, to use as samples. I used a hard rubber roller and a plastic grid for texture.
I bought both brands at the last Umpqua Valley Quilters Show so I could compare them. The Texture Magic was quiet a bit more expensive than the Fabric Magic. Both came with a chart on how much shrinkage to how much stitching, but I forgot to check the chart. They also come in different size pieces, 1/2 yard or full yard.
I made different free motion quilting patterns to see if there would be a difference in the texture once it had shrunk. I used a medium stipple, a 1" horizontal wave, a wavy grid at about 1 1/2" spacing, and a 1" diamond grid, and a larger loopy/random stitching.
I had trouble with the iron at the meeting, and only managed to shrink one sample. Use steam and do NOT touch the iron to the interfacing. Steam from the interfacing side. It shrinks quickly in sections, as I moved the iron around. Once it was shrunk I could not get more shrinkage. Stitching around the outside edge of the fabric was a good idea. I can not tell the difference in the texture for the different style of stitching. The distance between the stitching made more of a difference. A wave or a grid or stippling did not matter. So save yourself the time and stitch what ever you are most comfortable with, I recommend the medium or small stipple, or just an all over random. The brands shrunk as easily as each other, but the Fabric Magic did not shrink as much in one direction. All the samples started out 12 1/2" square, the Texture Magic finished at 10" square, and the Fabric Magic at 10" x 11" Not the "Up to 30%" that they said it would. Maybe closer stitching would get more shrinkage. I am going to use these for pillows or purses, vests would be appropriate, or just for texture on any project. Get some and play for yourself, see what the new technology comes up with next. I have linked this to Off the Wall Fridayby Nina-Marie, check out all the wonderful artists that link up each Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting experiment...but could you recommend why/where/when one might want to use this stuff?

    ReplyDelete